EFFECTIVE JUNE 1, 2005, application for homestead exemption may be filed any time during the year. However, applications must be filed by APRIL 1ST of the year in which the exemption is sought provided the applicant meets ownership and residency eligibility requirements. Applications filed after APRIL 1st will be processed the following taxable year: Rental property does not qualify for any exemptions.
1. EVERYONE owning their home and living there on January 1 can qualify for a $5,000
exemption from County and School Tax.
2. ALL homeowners who are 65 years of age by January 1 can receive a $40,000 School
3. ALL City of Cartersville homeowners who are 65 years of age can receive a $28,000 City Tax exemption.
4. The Disabled Veteran Homestead Exemption is available to veterans with 100% service connected disability. The exemption is in an amount up to $60,000 plus an economic indicator provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs from all ad valorem tax levies. A letter from the Veterans Administration stating the eligibility of the applicant must be provided with the application.
5. An Un-remarried Surviving Spouse can apply for a homestead exemption in an amount up to $60,000 plus an economic indicator provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs from all ad valorem tax levies, if such person's spouse, was a member of the United States armed forces, and was killed or died as a result of any war or armed conflict. Documents from the Secretary of Defense must be provided stating that spousal benefits are received as a result of the death.
(Anyone receiving exemptions 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 WILL NOT have to reapply unless a change has been made in your name or place of residence.)
6. PERMANENTLY DISABLED homeowners drawing disability from Social Security and have a household income of less than $20,000 per year may apply for a $28,000 School Tax exemption. (Application must be made each year.)
7. Homeowners who are 62 years of age by January 1 can receive a $10,000 School Tax exemption if the combined net income of the applicant and spouse (excluding Social Security or retirement) is less than $10,000 per year. (Application must be made each year.)
(Only homeowners receiving exemptions 6 or 7 must apply EVERY YEAR between January 1st and APRIL 1st.)