Citizen Alert System

sign up scroll down icon

Frequently Asked Questions

Where are you located?

Our address is 40 Allatoona Dam Road, Cartersville, GA 30120. We are located between Georgia Highway 41 and State Route 293 near Emerson Georgia.

Why can’t I take small loads of construction material to the collection center?

The collection centers are intended for the use of Bartow County residents as a means of disposing solid waste generated on a day-to-day basis in their homes. The landfill is intended to serve as solid waste disposal facilities for Bartow County residents who must dispose of large volumes of solid waste generated by other than normal day-to-day activities (e.g. renovations, remodeling, etc.)

We will accept small amounts of construction and demolition (C&D) material generated from a resident’s home only. C&D material may include lumber (new and used), windows, doors, roofing material, flooring material, siding material, sheetrock, plumbing and related fixtures, HVAC components, gutters, etc. We will not accept more than three (3) bundles of shingles per load per day. We will accept up to 80 cubic feet (2.5 X 4.0 X 8.0 feet), or the volume of a standard size pick-up bed below the rails. However, if a resident brings more than 80 cubic feet of C&D material per load per day, as determined by the collection center attendant, that resident will be deferred to the landfill. Those residents deferred to the landfill may dispose of up to one ton of material free of charge per load. An unlimited number of loads may be taken to the landfill during normal operating hours.

Copies of the Collection Center Standard Operating Procedures are available for review at each collection center or landfill.

What can I do with scrap tires?

The disposal of scrap tires is regulated by both Federal and State agencies. We will accept four scrap tires per licensed driver per household per year at the collection centers. The tires are then brought to the Landfill where they are disposed of by a tire recycling firm.

Do you pay for recycled materials brought to your facilities?

No. Unfortunately, Bartow County does not make a profit by selling the processed recycled materials. The real savings associated with recycling is twofold. First, recycling saves valuable non-renewable natural resources. Second, recycling keeps recyclable goods out of the landfill which saves valuable space.

May I be allowed to retrieve something someone else has thrown away?

No, scavenging is illegal. Violators of this State regulation will be prosecuted.

What is Hazardous Waste?

Hazardous waste is classified as hazardous based on both chemical analysis and the quantity of the material. A waste material may be considered hazardous if chemical analysis indicates a chemical compound is present in the waste, above pre-determined concentrations. However, if the amount of the waste weighs less than 220 pounds (based on monthly accumulation), then the waste material is not considered hazardous. If you have any question regarding hazardous waste please call the landfill at (770) 387-5145.

How do I get a job at the landfill?

To be considered for a full-time position, please refer to the Bartow County Human Resources Web Site and follow the instructions posted there. If you are interested in a part-time position, please come by the landfill scale house and ask for an application. Once it is properly filled out and signed, it will be kept on file for 6 months. When an opening becomes available, we will call interested persons on a first-come, first-serve basis.

If I must bring waste to landfill, what do I do?

When you pull into the main gates of the landfill you will go up a small hill. You will see a sign directing you towards the right side of the scale house. Staying to the right, you will approach a Stop sign and a traffic light. When the light is green, proceed onto the scales. Once on the scales, park your vehicle and walk to the scale attendant window. Once at the window, you will need to provide proof of residency in Bartow County, the address where the material is brought from, and the tag number of your vehicle. The tag number sets up your account with the landfill.

Once complete, you will be directed to the proper location to unload your waste. For your convenience, we have placed bins near the scale house so you don’t need to go into the landfill itself. Once done unloading your waste, please weigh back out on the same scale that you weighed in on. You will be given a weight ticket with all of the information you provided to us that must be signed. For your safety, please follow all traffic signs and rules.

If you have additional questions or comments regarding the landfill or the disposal of solid waste, please feel free to call the landfill (770) 387-5145 for clarification. Copies of the Solid Waste Disposal Ordinance and Collection Center Standard Operating Procedures are available for your review at all Collection Centers and Landfill.