Citizen Alert System

sign up scroll down icon

Absentee By Mail - Military

Your Georgia voting rights extend all over the globe and we want to make voting outside of Bartow County easy and efficient.

As a military voter you must

  1. Be serving away from your permanent residence in Bartow County
  2. Be a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Merchant Marine or the commissioned corps of the Public Health Service or the commissioned corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and who is absent from their precinct on the date of the election due to their service.
  3. A member of the Georgia National Guard who is deployed or on assignment outside of Georgia
  4. A spouse or dependent of a member referred to above who, by reason of the active duty or service of the member, is absent from the place of residence where the spouse or dependent is otherwise qualified to vote.

For voting purposes, "legal voting residence" in Bartow County,

  1. Where you last resided prior to entering military service
  2. The residence that you have since claimed as your legal residence.

Even though you may no longer maintain formal ties to that residence, the address determines your proper voting jurisdiction. To claim a new legal residence, you must have simultaneous physical presence and the intent to return to that location as your primary residence.
Military and their family members may change their legal residence every time they change permanent duty stations, or they may retain their legal residence without change. This may mean that you have a different legal voting residence than your family members.

Your family members who are not in the military can also vote absentee.
While all voters registered in Georgia may vote absentee, spouses and children (U.S. citizens, 18 years or older) of military personnel may request absentee ballots with the Federal Post Card Application if they are also absent from their home county. 
If a U.S. citizen outside of the U.S. has never lived in the U.S. and either parent is a qualified Georgia voter, then he or she is eligible to register and vote where his or her parent is a qualified voter and also use the Federal Post Card Application.

You may vote in-person where you are stationed if you change your legal residence to Bartow County, even if you live on a military installation. 

Currently there are no provisions for personnel stationed outside the U.S. to vote in-person where stationed.