- Parent Category: Tax Offices
- Last Updated on 17 September 2012
- Published on 01 November 2010
- Hits: 9841
EFFECTIVE JUNE 1, 2005, application for homestead exemption may be filed any time during the year. However, applications must be filed by APRIL 1ST of the year in which the exemption is sought provided the applicant meets ownership and residency eligibility requirements. Applications filed after APRIL 1st will be processed the following taxable year: Rental property does not qualify for any exemptions.
TO VIEW A HOMESTEAD APPLICATION
1. EVERYONE owning their home and living there on January 1 can qualify for a $5,000
exemption from County and School Tax.
2. ALL homeowners who are 65 years of age by January 1 can receive a $40,000 School
3. ALL City of Cartersville homeowners who are 65 years of age can receive a $28,000 City Tax exemption.
4. A Disabled Veterans Exemption in an amount up to $50,000 is available, however, is
restricted to certain types of very serious disabilities. You should contact the tax office for details.
5. An un-remarried surviving spouse, whose spouse was a member of the U.S. Armed
Forces, and was killed or died as a result of any war or armed conflict can apply for an
exemption in an amount up to $50,000. You should contact the tax office for details.
(Anyone receiving exemptions 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 WILL NOT have to reapply unless a change has been made in your name or place of residence.)
6. PERMANENTLY DISABLED homeowners drawing disability from Social Security and have a household income of less than $20,000 per year may apply for a $28,000 School Tax exemption. (Application must be made each year.)
7. Homeowners who are 62 years of age by January 1 can receive a $10,000 School Tax exemption if the combined net income of the applicant and spouse (excluding Social Security or retirement) is less than $10,000 per year. (Application must be made each year.)
(Only homeowners receiving exemptions 6 or 7 must apply EVERY YEAR between January 1st and APRIL 1st.)