How to Register to Vote
You must register to vote before you are eligible to participate in any federal, state, or local elections or any petition or recall effort. Registering is easy and doesn't take a lot of time. First, make sure you are qualified to register to vote in Bartow County. The qualifications include:
- Citizenship in the United States of America
- Legal residency in Bartow County
- Being 17 1/2 years of age on the day you register (however, you must turn 18 prior to voting)
- Not serving a sentence for conviction of a felony involving moral turpitude (although you may register after completing your sentence)
- Not being found mentally incompetent by a judge
If you qualify, you may register using any of the following options:
- Register in person at the Bartow County Board of Elections and Voter Registration Office located at 1300 Joe Frank Harris Parkway in Cartersville. There is no need to bring any documentation with you if you choose to register in person at our office.
- Register when you apply for or renew a Driver’s License or State Identification Card at any Georgia Department of Driver Services Office.
- Register online through the Georgia Secretary of State’s Office by clicking here. If you have a Georgia Driver’s License or Identification Card you may complete this process entirely online. If not, you will need to print off the completed application from the Secretary of State’s website, sign it, and mail it to 135 W. Cherokee Ave., Suite 106, Cartersville, GA 30120.
- Register through the mail by calling us at (770) 387-5098, and requesting that we mail you an Application for Voter Registration. You will then need to complete and sign the application drop it in the mail. If this is the first time you have registered to vote in the State of Georgia you must include a copy of an approved form of identification with your Voter Registration Application. The approved forms of identification include:
- Georgia driver's license, even if it's expired
- Valid state or federal government issued photo ID, including one issued by the Department of Driver Services or your county registrar's office
- Valid U.S. passport
- Valid employee photo ID from any branch, department, agency, or entity of the U.S. Government, Georgia or any county, municipality, board, authority or other entity of this state
- Valid U.S. military photo ID
- Valid Tribal photo
- Utility bill
- Bank Statement
- Government Check
- Any other government document which shows your name and address
No matter which option you choose, there is no need to declare a party affiliation and personal information such as Driver's License and Social Security Numbers are always kept strictly confidential.
After you we receive your Application for Voter Registration, we will verify that you are indeed qualified to vote and then add you to the Official List of Registered Voters. You will then receive a Precinct Card in the mail in 2-3 weeks. This card informs you where you vote on Election Day, but you don't need to take it with you in order to vote. If you lose it simply check the My Voter Page on the Secretary of State's website for your Election Day Polling Place information.